Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Finding my voice

Hi! I'm Jennie Harlow! Its nice to Internet meet you! I'll bet you're wondering what makes me think I'm so special I deserve to have you spend your extra valuable time reading what I have to say. 
The answer is absolutely nothing!

I'm just a not so normal girl living in a very normal world.


As far back as I can remember, I always wanted to be a gangster.


Ok, that may be true, but completely besides the point. 


Believe it or not, I originally had a much longer post, but... even I wouldn't read so much!
The long and the short of it is;
* I'm 34 years old, I live at home. This used to bother me, but with the current state of the economy, almost everyone I know moved home!
* I've gone to school for fashion and photography and I'm licensed to nail! 
* I love fashion, music, designer vinyl toys and my dog Cooper
* Without my best friend Nick I would probably never consider the consequences
* I've worked at Fredericks of Hollywood for almost 4 years.
* I was once referred to at Fredericks as the boob whisperer. (i know my sizing!)
* Nothing makes me happier than making other people feel amazing
* I have a 2004 New Beetle convertible named Jett that's almost more trouble than she's    worth
* Shoes and Starbucks are my two favorite worst vices
* I'm very single. I don't even know where I'm going in life. How can I expect to make that journey while worrying about someone else?!
* Nothing makes me happier than when people think I'm from New York
* I live in San Diego and spent the better part of my early adulthood growing up in Hollywood
* I LOVE visual merchandising
* Old Hollywood glamour makes my heart sing
* I worship at the house of Christian- Dior and Louboutin!
* I have an etsy shop called Rhinestones & Bobby Pins with everything sparkly from 
Burlesque outfits to awesome sparkly jewelry
* I have 2 amazing reality tv shows locked up in my head. .. just waiting for my big break to share them with the world! 
* I'm still trying to figure out life

I think that's about all there is to know about me!

Oh wait! Much less importantly... Yes. I'm fat. I don't really like terms like "plus size" or "full figure".  Lets just call it what it is! I have poly-cystic ovary syndrome. There are maaaaany many many things that this evil condition does to a person. It messes with your hormones, ability to have children, your emotional stability, your skin, hair, you can have ruptured cysts on your ovaries that make you think you're dying, and like for me... it can make you fat. It makes your body process foods differently and with all of the other imbalances, you kind of process them wrong. When I was young I actually had a doctor tell me I was lying about what I ate and how much I was exercising. Not much was known about pcos then. I've been on just about every diet plan, exercise plan, weight loss scam and everything in between, and half the time when people were losing 40 pounds a month for doing nothing, I would actually gain weight. Thankfully, A LOT more is known about it these days, and they're finding out diabetes drugs help with losing weight and there are fertility fixes and all kinds of great things! I heard about a woman who lost 180 pounds in a year with metformin! Talk about crazy! Every time I see a girl who visibly has signs of pcos i just want to yell "Go see a doctor! You probably have this!" 


I'm not gonna lie. I wouldn't be mad about being a thinner version of myself. In fact, I see myself in my head as quite a bit smaller than I actually am. But what I've learned over the years is... I'm me. There isn't anyone else in this world just like me. I'm not a cookie cutter version of Barbie. I'm not your stereotypical human being. And I'm getting to be ok with that. It's been a long journey, but I'm starting to accept me for me. 


Southern California can be a cruel and ugly place for a fat girl. But ya know what? Ya just gotta figure out how to make it beautiful. And that's exactly what I'm working on!


Me in front of the Sex & the City Carrie Bradshaw apartment 
New York 2011

1 comment: