Monday, February 18, 2013

Just because it fits doesn't mean you should wear it!

Ever since I was a little girl reading Dear Abby, I have always wanted an advice column of my own. So I'm taking advantage of this blog to deliver some unsolicited advice to plus size girls everywhere!

When I was younger, I wore my clothes HUGE! I guess I thought I was hiding the fact that I was a big girl with big clothes. I'll never forget the day I learned bigger isn't always better. We'are talking size 16 in women's wearing a size 3x t-shirt in men's sizes.... yikes! 

I was shopping at Torrid, probably about 10 years ago when I found a Lucky 13 shirt I absolutely fell in love with. At the time, I think I was about. 20/22 on the bottom and I always wore a 4X t-shirt. The Lucky 13 shirt I loved was only a 2x... I loved it so much I decided to try it anyway... oh my God! The difference in my body shape was staggering! I had boobs! And some curves! I wasn't a block individual! From that moment on, I never looked back! Its been fitted shirts for me since that day!

But! Just because it fits doesn't mean you should wear it obviously goes both ways! I've tried to stuff myself into many a small size because it was just so darn cute! Yikes! Some things should just not be on a plus size body!

And for that matter... sometimes just because they make it in our size, doesn't mean we should wear it! I see some super cute things from time to time in plus sizes and I just want to go punch the buyer in the face! And by buyer, I don't mean us! I mean the stores buyer! 

The important thing to remember is only wear what makes you feel good. I have found shirts that fit my plus size frame in many a strange place! H & M has aa line that runs pretty big in the tops and I get endless compliments because it really flatters! Also, Express t-shirts and sweaters are always a huge hit for me! They run pretty big and they just do great things for a plus size shape! And it makes it more fun to go shopping with your girlfriends if they're thin if you know you can all find stuff at the same shops! 

Dont be afraid to experiment with what ya got! Sometimes it takes just a little bit of thinking outside the plus size box to make your fashion heart sing! 

No comments:

Post a Comment